ShareThis

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Broccoli Cheese Soup


























I used to hate fall...HATE IT! Maybe it was because that was when school started, and I wasn't the biggest fan of school. Actually, that was most likely exactly what it was...which may surprise some people now, since I was an outgoing cheerleader in high school and graduated college with an engineering degree, but, yeah, I wasn't a fan...that being said, now I LOVE FALL! I love how good my house smells with food cooking in the crockpot all...day...long...! I love the changing colors, the leaves crunching under my feet. I love that hot chocolate weather is coming, but not yet here, and I no longer have to worry about what I look like in a bathing suit :-) I love that it is okay to start eating more luxurious foods, and soups and stews are abundant! Yup, I love fall :-) 

A short time ago, a family member had an accident and couldn't eat solids for a while, so I made several soups and brought them over. This one was the biggest hit at their home, and my husband was actually a bit disappointing that I hadn't made more. It is definitely a repeat, making it a successful dish for the Schneider household! Keeping with cleaner eating, this is a hearty dish with very little salt, and no heavy cream (just a tad of butter to cook the veggies) and absolutely no sugar (although I am surprised how many soups want you to add sugar into them!). 

Add: 
1 Tbs. olive oil
3 Tbs. butter
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic
into a pot. Add:
2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
Cook until softened. Add:
3 Tbs. flour (1 Tbs. each until combined) 
Combine thoroughly, so no flour is visible. Add:
3 cups chicken stock or veggie stock 
Simmer for about  30 minutes, covered. Add:
3 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat for another 30 minutes. Add:
1 cup Cauliflower puree (as made in my Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo)
4 oz. cream cheese
1 cup sharp cheddar
1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
Heat another 30 minutes until all cheeses are melted. Top this off with some homemade croutons, some extra broccoli or cheese, or even crumbled bacon, curl up under a blanket and enjoy!

Ingredients
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic
3 cups chicken stock or veggie stock
1 cup shredded carrots
3 bay leaf
3 Tbs. butter
3 Tbs. flour
1 cup Cauliflower puree (as made in my Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo)
4 oz. cream cheese
1 cup sharp cheddar
1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment