ShareThis

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Banana Bread

























No matter how hard I try to, I just don't love bananas. But I really do keep trying, and so I am regularly buying bananas, "just in case" I might want one...which I rarely do...and then they go bad...

I have been making this bread for years, and it's always a hit. It seems that it's another "mom recipe", as every boyfriend I have ever had...their mom has this exact recipe. It's eerie. Kind of like the meatballs that every mother in the world makes for parties...anyways...I wanted to make sure I could find this recipe on the world-wide-web, and share it with those of you I have already gifted said banana bread. I also wanted to share a deviation of the banana bread...

If you follow my blog, you know that I have started experimenting with cleaner eating, cutting out refined sugars and flours, and testing how to incorporate healthier options (the Paleo Chocolate Pie comes to mind...). Although the original banana bread recipe is one that will continue to live as gifts and possibly a treat now and then, I have found a gluten-free and cleaner option. I actually made these as muffins instead of bread, to make them more convenient and easier to grab on the go, so I'm not sure how they would turn out as a bread. Using turbanado raw cane sugar actually makes them less sweet, so I plan on making them for Thanksgiving as a bread option, but I love them for a small breakfast option with my coffee in the morning. They almost have a corn muffin flavor...some sweetness, but not enough to be considered sugary. 

I have added both options to this post, so you can go the tried and true route, or the new-fangled...either way, thanks for joining me on my journey!

Original Banana Bread
In a bowl, cream:

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, room temperature

Add:

3-5 bananas, as brown as you can stand it

In a separate bowl, combine:

2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda

Slowly add to the butter, sugar, banana mix, but don't over beat it. Lastly, add:

2 eggs, beaten separately 

Combine and add to a bread pan, sprayed with some cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. 

Note: I have also done this as smaller bread loafs. Just start checking the loafs for "doneness" after about 30 minutes and then periodically after that. 

























Clean Banana Muffins (Gluten-free) 
In a bowl, cream:

1 c. turbanado raw cane sugar
1/2 c. butter, room temperature

Add:

3-5 bananas, as brown as you can stand it

In a separate bowl, combine:

1 c. oat flour
1 c. brown rice flour 
1 tsp baking soda

Slowly add to the butter, sugar, banana mix, but don't over beat it. Lastly, add:

2 eggs, beaten separately 

Combine and add to a bread pan, sprayed with some cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 

Original Banana Bread Ingredients
3-5 bananas, as brown as you can stand it
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, room temperature
2 eggs, beaten separately 
2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda

Clean Banana Muffins (Gluten-free) Ingredients
3-5 bananas, as brown as you can stand it
1 c. turbanado raw cane sugar
1/2 c. butter, room temperature 
2 eggs, beaten separately 
1 c. oat flour
1 c. brown rice flour 
1 tsp baking soda

No comments:

Post a Comment