ShareThis

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Paleo Chocolate Pie with a Nut Crust






















Paleo Chocolate Pie with a Nut Crust based on a recipe from www.paleolland.com 

Wow, it's been a busy first half of the year!  Doggie issues, my work, his work, moving...I'm sure there was more, but we are finally getting settled in the new place, Tickle is doing well, and I think we are finally figuring out how to balance our work/home life.  Things are going well, and I am looking forward to the second half of this year. A few weeks back, for my husband's birthday, we had a small family BBQ, at which point we also got him the exact grill he wanted...he was actually speechless, which happens rarely, so I knew we had been a successful purchase. 

Part of what I have been trying to do at the beginning of this year is eat healthier.  Now, I am sure many of you think that means I have gone on a diet, lowered my carb intake, increased my protein intake...nope. Well, maybe, but it was a indirect result of eating cleaner.  Less processed foods, almost no soda, more water, a reduction in refined sugar and white flour...and, what I found made the most impact in my health: reading the labels of canned, bottled and boxed items and lowering the amount of foods I purchase loaded with chemicals. It was eye opening to see what kinds of chemicals were in foods like tortillas, salsa, ketchup, cottage cheese...I may be the last one to recognize the severity of all this, since it is in the news, and restaurants are constantly changing their ingredients to improve the quality of their dishes, but now that I am aware of it, it is hard to look away.  

All of this means I am looking at what I cook, the ingredients I use, and what I buy prepared vs. make from scratch.  Many dishes are actually quick and easy to make from scratch, although making them all at once can become time consuming. For example, and I will add these later, but, refried beans, hummus, salsas, all are very quick and easy to make and have so much less of the garbage that you find in the prepared foods on the grocery store shelves. As a result, I eat less sugar, salt, and so does the my family. It's also opened me up to new techniques and new ingredients, to create successful dishes like this chocolate pie.  

I am very excited about this dish. It was something I chose to make because there are several people in my family who have diabetes, and I hate that I never make a dessert for parties that they can eat. I found this, and I knew it was perfect. Not only for them, but, I was really looking forward to trying it! The recipe may seem daunting, but it really isn't. Extremely successful, we didn't even have leftovers :-)

for the crust
In a food processor, finely chop:

⅓ cup macadamia nuts, unsalted
⅓ cup almonds, unsalted
⅓ cup hazelnuts, unsalted
4 Medjool dates, pitted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt

Transfer the crust mixture to a glass pie dish (diameter about 20 cm), and press it across the bottom and halfway up the sides.

filling ingredients
In a small saucepan, heat:

1 cup coconut cream (cream at the top of a can of separated full-fat coconut milk -leave open in fridge overnight to separate)

just slightly. Add:

8 Medjool dates, pitted
3 ounces (90 gr) dark chocolate, melted
¼ cup (60 ml) coconut oil, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract

Using an immersion hand blender, the most a-mazing item in the planet for creaming soups, sauces, and now, I find, pie fillings, blend until the filling is dark and completely smooth. The original recipe called for doing this in the food processor, although I have no idea how she got it as smooth as the hand blender would get it.  You can also use a regular blender, but, because the ingredients have been heated, make sure you keep the small piece of the top off.

Pour the filling over the crust, and chill to set. When you're ready to serve the pie, top it with whipped coconut cream or strawberries (which is what I did). Store the pie in the refrigerator, if it lasts that long :-)

Ingredients
for the crust:
⅓ cup macadamia nuts, unsalted
⅓ cup almonds, unsalted
⅓ cup hazelnuts, unsalted
4 Medjool dates, pitted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt

filling ingredients:
1 cup coconut cream (cream at the top of a can of separated full-fat coconut milk -leave open in fridge overnight to separate)
8 Medjool dates, pitted
3 ounces (90 gr) dark chocolate, melted
¼ cup (60 ml) coconut oil, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete