ShareThis

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo

























Fettuccine Alfredo used to be my childhood favorite.  If we ever went to an Italian restaurant, be sure I would order the Fettuccine Alfredo.  As I got older, I began to experiment with other Italian foods, but I still get a hankering for Fettuccine Alfredo now and then.  As I try to improve my eating habits, add more vegetables into my diet, eat cleaner, lower my carb intake, there is still a need for a good bowl of pasta :-)  So, I decided to find a way to make one of my childhood favorites a little easier to handle in my old age :-)

If you know my husband, or have been following my blog on a regular basis, you know that he likes his food in a traditional way.  Rarely is he up for experimenting with the classics.  BUT...even he was a fan of this sauce.  I think because I still add some butter, Parmesan cheese and heavy cream (just a lot less than in a typical Alfredo sauce), the cauliflower doesn't overpower the dish.  Definitely a winner and definitely a repeat!

Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo 

Chop:

2 heads cauliflower

Bring:

6 cups vegetable broth

to a boil over medium high heat and add cauliflower. Cook until cauliflower is soft, about 30 minutes. In my experience, the longer you cook it, the smoother the sauce will be. Meanwhile, melt:

1 tablespoon butter

in a large skillet over medium heat. Add:

6 cloves garlic, minced

and saute for 4-5 minutes or until soft and fragrant. As the garlic and cauliflower are cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the fettuccine according to directions on package, reserving some of the starchy water to add to the sauce later.

Transfer cauliflower to a blender with about 2 cups of the broth. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. Add the sauteed garlic and:

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

and puree until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Once the mixture is moving, stream:

1 tablespoon olive oil

into the blender. Add more broth or water if the mixture is too thick to move through the blender. You want it to turn through the blender easily. When puree is very smooth, transfer back to the butter/garlic skillet.

Add:

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

and cook over low heat. Add some starchy pasta water (or regular water if you’re not making pasta) and keep warm until ready to serve. Combine noodles and sauce in a large pot or skillet and serve immediately.

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. uncooked fettuccine noodles
2 heads cauliflower
6 cups vegetable broth
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Starchy boiling water from pasta pot

No comments:

Post a Comment