ShareThis

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Creamy Asparagus Soup


I love soup. It just is so comforting and warm...it's like being enveloped in a big cozy blanket. It may be why I started falling in love with fall...it's the start to a season of soup for every meal :-) I can eat soup for dinner every night when it's chilly...or lunch...or both! 

I had some asparagus and leeks that were getting to the age of absolute maturity...I thought risotto, then quiche, but when I mentioned those to Mattew, he actually suggested soup! You would think he would be sick of it by now! Thankfully no, and thankfully he made this suggestion, although I think he just wanted me to use the new blender he bought me :-) On a chilly Saturday afternoon, after finding several recipes, I combined them all to make my own. It turned out scrumptious, and I served it as a late lunch with grilled cheese sandwiches filled with gooey gruyere cheese...so yummy! Enjoy!

In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, add and melt:

2 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. olive oil

Add:

1 bunch asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 leek, chopped
3 medium potatoes, cubed

Soften vegetables, about 10 minutes. Add:

1 small shallot, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped

Cook for another few minutes, 3 - 5. Add:

1 c. White wine

Increase heat to medium high. Reduce the liquid by half. Reduce heat back to medium or medium low. Add:

4 c. Chicken broth

Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth. Put back into Dutch oven. Add: 

2 Tbsp butter
1 c. Heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1-4 tsp celery salt
1 tsp Barons garlic pepper
1 tsp ground mustard seed
1/2 tsp herbs de province

Cook on medium low for 15 minutes. Taste and add more seasonings, if necessary. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes. Serve with sliced almonds, chopped bacon, shredded parmesean cheese, or any other topping that you find desirable. 






No comments:

Post a Comment