ShareThis

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Back to Basics: Lentil Soup


I have several recipes I used to make in college that are easy, inexpensive, and I typically created because I had the items on-hand.  With the winter coming on, this is one of my favorite recipes to make for the weekends I lock myself in to do work, clean, or just relax with the television or a good book.  Easy to make, albiet a bit time consuming, I find it even better as leftovers than the day of.  Fantastic on it's own or over rice, and maybe a bit of your favorite cheese on top!


















Back to Basics: Lentil Soup

In a saucepan, on low or medium low heat, sweat:

1 whole red onion, finely sliced

Approximately 6 to 7 minutes. 













Add:

1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped celery

Soften the vegetables; don't be afraid to simply lower the heat a bit, cover the pot, and let the steam do the work! 













Add:

1 cup lentils, picked and rinsed
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth

Stir to combine.  Increase the geat and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer for about 15 minutes. 














Add:

1/2 tsp ground corriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground garam masala

Continue to cook until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 minutes total.  If you are planning on serving it over rice, you are done.  If you are planning on eating it as a soup, you may want to take this one step further, take a cup out, and blend it.  Pour it back into the saucepan and continue to heat on low for another 10 minutes.

Note: This is not something Matthew would eat, but it is one of my favorite simple dishes I can have on-hand for a quick lunch, or sitting with my feet tucked up watching a movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment