ShareThis

Monday, July 4, 2011

Sage Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Onion Sauce

It was a long Thursday during a week I actually didn't have to travel for work, so I invited my friend Megan to try out some recipes!  It had been a while since I had tested anything out, and I was ready to get back into the kitchen.  This was a recipe given to my by my friend (and newlywed) Micheal Dunham.  As always, I did change some things around, but the basic recipe is the same.  One more time I didn't take pictures (I just could not find the camera!), so I had to steal Michael's...sorry!  But...soooo good!!! 















In a 10 or 12 inch pan, lay:

1 medium sweet Visalia onion, sliced

to cover the bottom of the pan.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sage.  Add:

1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced

to cover the onion slices. You will probably have to overlap the sweet potatoes a bit, which is fine.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sage.  Add:

1 bottle inexpensive white wine, preferably Chardonnay

Lay:

1 lb chicken breast, sliced into strips

over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle generously with sage and poultry seasoning.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover; cook for 10 minutes.


Remove chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Re-cover pan and continue to cook approximately 5 minutes.

Remove potatoes; add to the plate of chicken.

Transfer onions and broth they are sitting in to a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the mix through a fine sieve, pressing with a spoon to separate as much liquid from the pulp.

Pour the onion liquid back in tot the pan, put onion pulp to the side for use during the meal.  Reduce the onion liquid to approximately a 1/2 cup. Wisk in:

3 Tbs butter

until melted. Turn off the heat. Add chicken and potatoes to sauce, and coat.  Plate up by layering a plate with the potatoes, then the chicken, then pour the remainder of the onion sauce on top. 

I served it with warm pita bread. 

To try: put some of the onion pulp mixture on a piece of pita bread.  Add a slice of sweet potato and a piece of chicken on top of that.  It really was yummy, and a thought of how to maybe use this dish to create small tapas or appetizers (with a tooth pick through the center).

No comments:

Post a Comment