ShareThis

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Spicy Chicken Stir-Fry with Asparagus

I will have many more recipes coming your way, but after making several asian dishes, I found that there are a few typical ingredients in all of them that I use in almost all of them...therefore, today, I made my own recipe, from scratch, all on my own, and I just had to post!

It was awesome, and I have no idea what Matthew thinks of it, yet, but it was so good, I had to post it immediately! It is made for 1 person with leftovers, or 2 people with no leftovers....


















Spicy Chicken Stir-Fry with Asparagus

Pound out:

1 chicken breast

Mix together:

1 chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 T. potato starch ( which is what I had on hand, although you can use corn starch)
1 T. rice wine (if you don't have any rice wine, a light white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc can be used as substitute)


Put into the refrigerator, while you cut:

1 bunch asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces (any vegetable will work... broccoli, bell peppers, whatever, this is what I had on hand)

Heat a pan with:

1 T. peanut oil

Once hot, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes. Not totally done, but close to it. Transfer to a plate.

Add to the pan:

3 dry chilies

Cook 30 seconds on each side. Cook no more than 1 minute on each side, or the chilis will burn. Transfer the chili to the plate with the chicken. To the pan add:

1 T. chopped garlic
1 T. chopped fresh ginger


Cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add:

1 bunch asparagus, chopped (or whatever vegetable you decide to use)
1/4 c. chicken stock


Cook for about 2 minutes, shaking the pan regularly. Add:

1 T. chili oil

Cook for about 30 seconds, until incorporated. Add chicken. Add:

1 T. soy sauce
1 T. light brown sugar
1 T. rice vinegar


Cook on low heat for approximately 3-5 minutes.

Serve with rice, or alone, if you are trying to decrease carbs.  If this is the case, add more of a variety of vegetables; you won't feel like you are missing the rice, at all! So yummy, as far as I am concerned!

UPDATE: Matthew liked it, but found it too spicy. I would remove the chili oil the next time I made this. Otherwise, the flavors were fantastic!


UPDATE: I have made this recipe so many times since I first published it; it is our go-to Asian dinner recipe.  I wanted to note a few things I have found:

  • If you don't want it to be spicy at all, simply eliminate the chilies and chili oil.  It won't change the flavor, just the heat.  
  • Something to notice on this recipe is that everything has a 1:1 ratio.  If you use 3 chicken breasts, just increase the potato starch and rice wine coating by 3 and the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar sauce by 3.  The garlic and ginger should be increased based on preference, which brings me to the next note...
  • My husband is not as big of a fan of ginger in dishes as I am, so although I may increase the amount of garlic I use, I always keep the amount of ginger the same, and sometimes less.  Although ginger is a key ingredient in Asian cuisine, if you reduce the amount you add, it won't ruin the dish.
  • Although I have it in the main body of the recipe, I want to emphasis to please experiment with the vegetables you use.  I have used matchstick carrot pieces, bok choy, red peppers, snap peas, green beans, bean sprouts, etc. 

1 comment:

  1. My sister really loves cooking and she always visit me to teach a new recipe. I think I want to try this one and I will put it one of my favorites. This is the perfect Recipes For Stir Fry for us because it is delicious, spicy and healthy. Thank you!.

    ReplyDelete