ShareThis

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Spicy Sesame Beef (based on Martha Stewart's Sesame Beef)


With everything that has been going on lately, I haven't had much time to cook, let alone blog about it. But, now things have slowed down a bit, and I am enjoying being the "housewife" again. I have also been getting the Martha Stewart Everyday Food Magazine, and there are some simple, but interesting recipes in there...yesterday, I decided to try one (with a Schneider twist, of course). A few notes:

1) I used a whole lb. of beef, even though the recipe only called for 3/4 lb. This was because of #2.

2) The recipe called for thin slices of red bell peppers, but I cut them thicker than recommended and added about 12 asparagus spears, cut in three pieces each.

3) Because of the addition of #1 and #2, my sauce ingredients were all heaping, but that included the red pepper flakes. I think this is why mine turned out to be a spicy sesame beef, and not just regular sesame beef :-)
















Spicy Sesame Beef

In a small bowl, wisk together:

2 T. Soy Sauce
2 T. Cooking Sherry
1 T. Sugar
2 tsp. Rice Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp. Cornstarch (I used Potato Starch)


In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat:

1 T. Oil

In batches, placing individually, side by side:

1 lb. boneless New York strip steak, thinly sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste


Brown for about 1 minute or less on each side. Transfer to a plate.

Add to the pan:

12 asparagus, each cut into about 3 pieces

Mixing regularly, cook for about 2 minutes (still crisp and green).

Add to the pan:

2 red bell peppers, cut in thick slices and then halved

Mixing everything together regularly, cook for about 2 minutes (vegetables should be crisp-tender).

Add to the pan:

2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste


Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk soy sauce mixture once more, thoroughly, then add to the skillet, along with the steak. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, approximately 1 minute. Stir in:

1 T. sesame seeds (the recipe calls for toasted, but I forgot, and the dish was still amamzing)

To serve, spoon beef mixture, over rice and top with:

Thinly sliced scallion greens (optional)
Note: In regaards to the rice, I used Dominicks O Long Grain Thai Jasmine Rice. First, I liked the fact that it came in a resealable plastic bag. Second, I have never made jasmine rice, so I wanted to try it out. It came out perfectly. I have had very bad luck making rice, it's always too sticky or overdone, or underdone, or just gross...if you like easy brown rice, I get the frozen rice at Whole Foods. You just stick it on the microwave, and no actual cooking necessary...



UPDATE: Well, this was definitely another success story! There was absolutel nothing bad Matthew had to say about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment