ShareThis

Friday, August 13, 2010

Tomato Sauce

So I haven't written in a while, but that is because Matthew and I have been grilling out, and there really have not been many recipes to write about...grilling is a taste in itself...steaks, chicken, shrimp, peppers, asparagus...everything tastes better on the grill!

I have also been frequenting the Farmer's Market, which I love every week. This past weekend, I fell in love with the tomatoes...these gorgeous yellow cherry tomatoes that melt in your mouth, and I bought a whole bunch of red cherry tomatoes that, honestly, never got ripe. So, I decided to try to make homemade pasta sauce, yet again, this time with the red cherry tomatoes...I have had problems making this sauce, as I always feel there is too much acid, and not enough like store bought, which I tend to adore.

So I tried something new...forget just onions, garlic and tomatoes...let's add some more to it. I have, previously, tried adding wine, and that didn't work, either...I think I may have found something very close to the restaurant brand, but better...let's see what the man thinks:

Ingredients:
Olive Oil
1 medium union, chopped
1 carrot, shredded
1 stalk celery, finely diced
As much garlic as you want, my recipe had 1 T. chopped garlic
1 basket red cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 T. tomato paste
1/4 basil, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat a pot at medium low heat. When it is warm add the olive oil. When the olive oil is warm, add the shredded carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add onions and celery. Add some salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until everything is translucent. Add the tomato paste. stir until combined. While cooking vegetables, chop cherry tomatoes. Add to the pot. Ad more salt and pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the can of tomatoes. Stir until combined. Add more salt and pepper. Cook for another 20 minutes. Add chopped basil. Add more salt and pepper. Cook another 20 minutes. Take off heat until ready for pouring onto pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment