ShareThis

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mediterranean Chicken Pasta Salad

























Sometimes, it is a simple dish that I wanted to make for myself that he loves the most. I left for Kalamazoo, MI on Sunday, and Matthew had asked that I make some food that he can have while I am away. I made the common chicken salad, which I have probably made 3 times already in the past 2 months. I also made some potato salad, but nothing exciting, just your regular, run of the mill potato salad with potatoes, celery, onions, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. After cleaning the house, cooking and doing laundry all day Saturday, I just wanted to make something simple, flavorful, and not with lettuce. So, with basil I got at the Farmer's Market that morning, and things I found from around the house, I made a Mediterranean pasta salad, based on our friend Carly's pasta salad that she made during one of her fabulous BBQ's...
In a food processor, add:

1 c. basil
1/2 c. pine nuts
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
2 T. crushed garlic

Salt and Pepper to taste

Grind together, but keep texture. Add: 

Olive oil

as much or as little as you want. Start small, mix, then add more if desired. The more there is, the thinner and more liquidy it is.  In a separate bowl, add:

1/2 lb cooked pasta (any 'short' pasta will do)
Homemade pesto (recipe below)
1 roasted red pepper from a jar, chopped
1/2 can of olives, sliced
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
2 large grilled chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste


Mix until combined. Put in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. The longer it is in the refrigerator, the better it will be!


Ingredients
1/2 lb cooked pasta (any 'short' pasta will do)
Homemade pesto (recipe below)
1 roasted red pepper from a jar, chopped
1/2 can of olives, sliced
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
2 large grilled chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. basil
1/2 c. pine nuts
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
2 T. crushed garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Results
Matthew loved it. Called it a keeper...this means good things! Although I said it in previous posts, it does not always take deep thought and planning to make a dish he will love...sometimes it just takes some laziness :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment