ShareThis

Friday, July 2, 2010

Back to the Basics: Layered Chicken Salad

Update: I needed to update this, because I tried to use it when I wanted to make the chicken salad, and realized I had missed some ingredients!!!  Goodness, updated now...this is a great dish for any BBQ, pot luck lunch, or picnic.  Remember, you need to make most of it the night before, then leave it in the refrigerator overnight, and finish it off before the event. 

Note: I like to go and buy the disposable roasting type pan with a lid for this.  The lid makes it easier to not mess up the top when putting it in the fridge and it is a perfect depth!

I went to Long Island with my mom, sister and niece, so I had to leave Matthew to his own devices. However, I did leave him a classic, a dish his mother has been making for years, her chicken salad. It isn't your typical chicken salad, it is more of a layered salad, and he loves it.


Half a head of lettuce, chopped (I have actually started using a whole head of lettuce)
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 cup diced celery
1/2 c. chopped red onion
4 chicken breasts, cooked, cut up into 1/2 inch chunks
1 small package peas, thawed, not cooked
1 pint mayo
1 package bacon, cooked and chopped
1 package shredded cheese


Layer each in that order, but stop at the mayo. Between each layer, lightly salt the item.

Put 2 T. sugar on top of the mayo. Refrigerate overnight. The next morning (I can never wait more than that), layer on the bacon, then the cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.


This dish never lasts very long. The recipe makes a lot, but it goes fast! Seriously, I have stopped measuring, except the lettuce. Just make sure there is enough to make each layer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment