ShareThis

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tip Roast with Roasted Red/Yellow Pepper Sauce

Today, I made a tip roast. I was interested in making a larger cut of beef, and something different than Pot Roast, which is my typical "nicer" meal, and something I know that he will like. I marinated this cut although, I don't know that it needed it. I don't know that I tasted a difference in it, whether I had made it with just some cracked pepper and crushed salt, or how I did it:

1 C. red wine
1 T. crushed garlic
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
A few sprigs of Thyme
A few sprigs of Rosemary

Marinade for 30 minutes, up to 1 hour 30 minutes. (I was safe, marinaded it for the longest period of time.)

After cooking it, which I will go over later, I did not notice anything "special" in the taste, maybe it was a very thin marinade, without much substance.

However, the rest of the dish, did go well. I mixed the following vegetables:

1 lb. mini tomatoes, whole
1 lb. small red potatoes, cut in half or quarters, to keep them all the same size
8 oz. pearl onions
1 lb. asparagus, cut into 1 1/2 inches
A few sprigs of Thyme
A few sprigs of Rosemary

Mix everything together with olive oil, to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, cook the vegetables for 30 minutes.

While cooking the vegetables, sear the meat, 2 minutes on each side at medium to medium high heat, depending on your stove.

Add the meat to the vegetables, and add the herbs that were marinating in the wine. Pour a few soup ladles of the marinade over the meat, making sure you get some of the garlic.

Bake for 15 minutes per pound, if you are looking for medium rare, which is what we like. I have to be honest, I am not sure what to cook it at for a more well done cook of meat.

While it is cooking, baste it every 15 minutes. When the meat is done, take it out and keep it covered for at least 10 minutes before you cut. Mix the vegetables and leave them in the oven for another 10 - 30 minutes, depending on how well done you want the potatoes.

For the roasted red, pepper sauce:

Roast 3 peppers ( I used one red, one orange and one yellow pepper) for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until they start to burn and blister on each side, it all depends on your oven. Put them in a bowl and cover them for at least 20 minutes, if not more, to make it easier to remove the skin. Once the skin is removed, you can put it through running water to get rid of the remaining skin.

In a saucepan, at medium low heat, add:

Enough olive oil to coat the pan
1 whole white onion, chopped
1 T. + 1 tsp. chopped garlic
1 T. + 1 tsp. dried oregano
3 T. dried parsley
The 3 peppers, chopped

Cook until the onions are translucent.

Cover with chicken broth, cook until the broth has reduced,about 20 minutes.

Put all into a blender, the hole removed to let out the steam. Mix. Add about 1 cup Parmesan cheese. Add more if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a glass bowl until ready to use.

Put meat and vegetables on a plate. Add sauce to meat. Serve.

My opinion: wall together the dish turned out well. Without the sauce, I think the beef might be a bit land...however, I am waiting for the verdict; I will keep you posted :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment